Monday, April 19, 2004

I bought a thin magazine last year.That was "THE BIG ISSUE"; the magazine which was sold by the homeless. I had heard about the magazine and been interested in it but I couldn't speak to the homeless when I saw him selling the magazine at the first time. I tried but I couldn't. Why? I think it was because "I hadn't communicated with them." I mean, I had prejudice against them unconsciously. I was ashamed myself when I noticed that. However I tried the other day and I bought the magazine from the homeless who I had tried to speak to last time. He said "Thank you." to me and I realized that how important for his life to sell "THE BIG ISSUE". I think "THE BIG ISSUE" is a revolutionary method of offering job to them and support them to live their own lives. Also this magazine erased the border between the homeless and I. Through this occurrence I feel one of the global issues, "homelessness", closer. Before I bought the magazine I knew that there were many homeless especially in big cities but I haven't thought about them deeply. I look at the problems which not only poor countries but also rich countries like Japan have now. I think I'll keep buying "THE BIG ISSUE" and learn more about global issues in Scott's class.
Lastly, if someone read this blog, I suggest you listen to the song "instead" written and sung by Stacie Orrico. The Lyrics is about homelessness and cultural understanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home