Friday, August 26, 2005

Disability Study

Hellow ppl!


I had an 'Introduction to Disability' class today, and I had to decide the research topic for my presentation during that class.

I thought a story about 'disable-bodied' man was interesting. I think most of you know about Mr.Ototake who was born without arms and legs, but my class mates wouldnt know bout him. I thought his story would be interesting to other class mates.

But one of my class mates' topic was amputation, so I didnt choose this topic.

Next I thought of Animal Assisted Therapy, as I did lots of research when I was a freshman. This topic is also interesting.

However, I wanted to work on another one.

Something which lets me think deeply... and something new...

I remembered a man I saw on the train.


It was the end of July, when my friends and I were on our way home from the city. I saw a man. He was sitting on the seat on the train.

I thought he was a drug user bcuz he his hands were shaking..

When the train was about to leave one station, the man stood and rushed to the door with jerky walk.

But it was too late, and his bag was stuck between the doors...

People on the train pushed the emergency botton and talked to the driver to open the door, but the system to open and close the doors was automation and it didnt help.

The man was standing, holding the strap of his bag for some time...

Then one of my friends told me that the man should be a patient of Perkinson's disease.

I was so embarrased with my misunderstanding... I didnt know anything bout Perkinson's disease at all, and whats worse, I looked at him with a prejudice...

what a shame!!


So I decided to research about Perkinson's disease. Knowing more about disability will reduce the prejudice towards ppl with disabilities, I think.


3 Comments:

Blogger スロ / Bernat said...

Parkinson is really tough. Mohamed Ali and Michael J. Fox have Parkinson. But at least they don't die because of it. And there is medication to control the movements, a little at least.

It's far worse Alzheimer, it affects old people. Destroy the brain little by little. First they forget things, then they don't know how to do simple things, eat, go to bathroom,... very frustrating for the family. The affected just turns "useless", he/she don't realise that he has Alzheimer. Turns to a baby, at the end tehy are like babies, months-old babies, they don't know who, where, why, how to eat, completely useless. And then heart stops.

6:10 am  
Blogger CCoder said...

I have study both (Park. & Alz.) in Neurology when i was at biochemistry...
Those diseases really sucks, cause their victim is the Nervous System.
You can read wikipedia's article here:
english
japanese
God bless wikipedia...

9:12 pm  
Blogger Uly said...

Hi Yuka,
I have started Becca course, and guess what. I am in Dr.Scott's Peace Study class! I have already had a trouble to get text books for his class, but it's alright. I will probably ask you for help many time from now. haha. Right now I am thinking the topic for an oral presentation. How is ya studying going? talk to you later, bye!

4:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home